- I have more than 100 million variables in the Camunda engine
- at least 10 % of the variables are complex variables (e.g. JSON or XML)
- I fetch 10 000 historic variable updates from the historic detail table using the Optimize rest api or the historic detail endpoint
- it does not take more than 2 seconds
- such that:
- Even if the user has a lot of complex variables, Optimize can import the data in a very fast manner
In the context of bulk fetching historic variable updates from the historic detail table the current implementation of e.g. HistoricDetailQueryImpl#executeList and OptimizeHistoricVariableUpdateQueryCmd#fetchVariableValues sequentially calls getTypedValue for each variable entry which will perform one additional query per complex/object variable in AbstractSerializableValueSerializer#readValue to resolve the actual value.
This doesn't scale with maxResults values in the magnitude of several thousand as used by optimize in the context of importing data e.g.
maxResults -> response time
100 -> 400ms
200 -> 640ms
500 -> 1s
1000 -> 2s
10_000 -> 20s
We need a better scaling implementation of fetching variables for this usecase that e.g. fetches all byteArray entries in one bulk.